Sunlight Labs is holding a civic design contest, Design for America, in an effort to “make government data more accessible and comprehensible to the American public.” Categories are Data Visualization, Process Transparency and Redesigning the Government.
This 10 week long design and data visualization extravaganza is focused on connecting the talents of art and design communities throughout the country to the wealth of government data now available through bulk data access and APIs, and to help nurture the field of information visualization.
Top prize is $5,000 for each of these categories:
- Data Visualization of Sunlight Community Data
- Visualization of Data from the Federal Budget and/or USASpending.gov
- Visualization of Recovery.gov Data
- Visualization of How a Bill Becomes a Law
- Visualization of Congressional Rules/Floor Procedures
- Redesign of a Government Form
- Redesign of a .Gov website